Monday, September 17, 2007

My Maui Jim Sunglass Repair Experience

If you own a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses, you may or may not be aware that they have a pretty kick-ass repair policy. What was your experience like? Tell the world about yours in the comments below.


My repair experience has been a positive one. So far, I've broken them three four times and only had to pay serious money for repairs once. The first two times, I must have still been under warranty and there were literally no questions asked; I just sent them in along with $8.95 shipping (as of 5/3/2013 it's now $10.00, but who cares), and they sent them back to me ASAP. The first time they repaired the broken piece, and the second time they replaced the entire glasses for free--bridge, temples, lenses... everything. AND they gave me a new case for them. All free of charge.

The third time, however, I received a call from Maui Jim and was informed that I was no longer under warranty since I bought them back in 2003. The bridge was bent beyond repair, so that would need replacement. $49.50. My lenses had pits and scratches in them and I could either do nothing, or they'd give me new lenses for half price. The temples were bent, too, but I learned those are always replaced free of charge -- "it's just something we do for the customer" to foster good relations, the service rep said. I think it's a great policy.

All together, it cost $79.50 to rebuild them into a brand new pair of $250 glasses.

Here's what I know about how they operate:
  1. If you break them and you're under warranty, send them in. My experience was that they repaired everything with no questions asked.
  2. If you're out of warranty, the bridge will cost you $49.50 as of this writing (9/17/07). Lenses sound like they are $60, as I was given half off and paid $30 for them.
  3. Temples are always replaced free of charge if they are damaged
  4. If you send them to Maui Jim without a case (i.e., you lost or damaged yours) it's possible they might send them back to you in a brand new case. UPDATE 4/18/13: I've later come to find out that not always is this the case. (No pun intended!)
  5. Fast turnaround time. Sent them out on 9/7/07, got a call from Repair Dept on 9/17/07 (10 days later) indicating my glasses were received, repair work would be done right away, and glasses shipped out tomorrow 9/18/07, taking about 3-5 business days to arrive. Total repair/transit time: about 2 weeks.
  6. Maui Jim Repair Department Caller ID was 309-691-3700.
  7. Much cheaper than paying retail of $249 for a new pair
  8. Repairing Prescription Sunglasses: Rx lenses that are damaged or need replacement should be returned to their place of purchase. Rx lenses cannot be replaced or remade through Maui Jim directly. However, if your prescription sunglass frame needs repair, you can visit their Repair Department's web page and, follow the instructions, and clearly mark "RX REPAIR" on the outside of the container.
EDIT 07/08/08: If purchased at Sunglass Hut, they offer a kick-ass additional "warranty," if you will. For the first six months, if you absolutely destroy your sunglasses beyond repair (run them over with your car, drop them down a garbage disposal, etc.), they'll give you a significant discount on a replacement pair, so long as you bring in the fragments of whatever's left of the old pair.

EDIT 05/28/09: Here's a link to their repair department.

UPDATE: 4/18/13: Damn! Broke them again! This time the temple snapped while I was taking them off (with both hands)... it seems that my particular style is prone to this kind of thing--you see, over time the temples develop small stress fractures and, as one might expect, they get worse the more you put the glasses on and take them off. Sent them in for repair again, so we'll see what the experience is *this* time! Hopefully they're just as good as I claimed back in 2007 when I wrote this post.

UPDATE 5/3/13: Got them back (no thanks to the Post Office ... technically they arrived on 4/27 but the Post Office held the package instead of re-delivering after they missed be because the package required a signature confirmation. Once again, Maui Jim is furthering my love for this company. My lenses had seen better days and while it was my temple that snapped, I joked around in my letter to them and asked if they had any spare lenses just lying around they were looking to get rid of, I'd love to be the one they donate them to. They did! And so, they continue to earn repeat business and referrals and free advertising from me as a Maui Jim advocate/evangelist. I'm so happy that Maui Jim hasn't lost sight of how to deliver WOW.

86 comments:

  1. I bought RX Maui Jims in 2006. Great
    optics. But the lens would just "pop out".
    Sent the glasses back to Maui Jim via
    optometrist. Glasses came back apparently
    fixed. Several months later same problem. I sent them back again, fix again, several months later same problem. Every time I am lucky that lens doesn't fall in ocean or on hard floor. Now Maui Jim says
    "unfortunately for you its been over year
    since original purchase no longer will
    we fix them". So they basically gave me a band-aid fix and out-waited the warranty and now I am screwed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I accidently stepped on my Maui Jims and the bridge snapped. Over the 5 years I had them, I dropped them a few times and they had some small scrapes as well. I started using my old Oakleys and was displeased with them compared to my MJ's.

    I decided to send my MJ's for repair and sent them a letter to charge my CC for any repairs needed. To my surprise, I received the package back with a brand new pair at $0 "Goodwill Gesture" as description on the invoice.

    Thank you Maui Jim! My next pair will definately be MJ's and I recommend them to all my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome! I'm not at all surprised. I think they have an awesome marketing plan of allowing their customers to do the advertising for them, because I always rave about my MJs every chance I get. I think I'll be a Maui Jim customer for life, so long as they keep treating me like a valued customer. It's incredible how much free advertising a company can get when it treats its customers right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I broke my Maui jims during some vigorous sporting activity and sent them in for repair. I had an equally pleasant experience, as they were sent back repaired, free of charge. I wasn't charged for shipping to or from the repair center, and had the temples replaced free as a nice bonus. I am a customer for life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, I live on Maui and I’m a big fan of Maui Jims and have three pairs. I’ll let you know that getting Maui Jim sunglasses fixed for free is a well-known fact on Maui as all you have to do is go to the Maui Jim home office in Lahaina and they fix it in 5 minutes with no questions asked.

    Today I wanted to save myself a 45 minute trip across island and stopped in at my neighborhood Shops At Wailea Sunglass Hut. SGH refused to replace my Maui Jim’s, even though their policy printed on my receipt, I quote, states “Replacement Policy: In the event that your sunglasses or watch prove to be defective, please return them with your receipt as proof of purchase. If its still under warranty, we’ll replace it on the spot, or let you choose another item to the same value”.

    The salesgirl said that SGH won’t honor the Replacement Policy if it is over 90 days. However, the warranty period for defects on Maui Jims is 2 years. These “Moku” series Maui Jims had broken for the 3rd time since April 2008 which I had purchased on a trip at the Sydney Airport SGH when my other 5 year old Maui Jims broke and I was desperate or else I would have never gone to SGH. (obviously this is a serious defect in the plastic as I handle my glasses with care, and yes, I’ve had them fixed both times at the Maui Jim home office)

    I didn’t want to bust the Wailea SGH store salesgirl’s chops since she was just probably following store policy but that was really dishonest by SGH and sucks. That’s the last pair of glasses I purchase at SGH. So I will go to the Maui Jims home office and they will give me a different pair, different style, with no quarrel. Maui Jim is really a great company that stands by their warranty and again, this proved to me that Sunglass Hut is dishonest and sucks. Yeah SGH has a great underhanded "kick-ass" replacement policy as was just edited in the original post, you can buy a replacement pair for "50% off." That is no warranty, just another profit ploy!

    Note: I recommend to stay away from the Maui Jim “Moku” series as the spring stress on the plastic is too great without some kind of wire in the frame.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a lover of all things active and outdoors: back-packer, pilot (hang, fixed, and power), snow and water skier, scuba diver. I am now on my second pair of Maui Jim sun glasses and carry them 24/7. The frames and lenses are of absolutely excellent quality.

    To my pleasant surprise their company service policy is also outstanding. I received a free repair under warranty although I fully expected to pay. I explained to their repair department that I had accidently damaged (crushed!) my glasses while folding up a banquet table. They were returned to me in perfect shape along with a nice note.

    When I finally either totally destroy or lose my current pair, I'll head straight to the store to buy another pair of Maui Jims.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too have had good luck with repair until you send in the glasses many times. The lady did not understand that it was the same design but I have bought and lost the same design about 25 times with about 6 repairs in between. She thought it was the same glasses being broke over and over so many times they started charging me FULL price. I quite wearing them for a period of time due to this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is nothing that compares. Great sunglasses, light weight, high quality, repair service is top notch. Will be a Maui customer for life.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sent my Flexon Maui's in as the flexframe broke.
    MJ sent them back unrepaired and said they will not repair because i have a prescription lens in that was not theirs.
    So long Muai Jim, Costa would never do that!!
    They didnt break because of the lenses!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The wire frame on my Maui Jim Titanium Sport sunglasses broke last night. The lenses had been scratched pretty badly a month ago, which was completely my fault (dropped them on concrete, then someone stepped and dragged them). I drove down to the repair centre in Mississauga, Ontario with no proof of purchase or anything and showed it to them. They said they would fix the frame for free, and they would give me a 50% discount (down to $42.50) to replace both lenses.

    But just as I went to pull out my credit card, the lady told me to wait, and then came back a few minutes later with a brand new pair, case and cleaning cloth (basically everything you'd get from a new purchase at a store) completely free of charge. Mind you, I didn't even bring the original case with me. The statement they gave me said it was the 'Goodwill Waranty'.

    Obviously this company is striving for customer satisfaction and retention. It's good to see a company caring for its customers, instead of solely their profit margins. And with quality sunglasses like these, I'll likely be a customer for life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see all the good comments about MJ's excellent customer service, but I don't see any address or link to set up a repair. I have a pair of MJ's titanium frames and absolutely love them. The bridge popped in to a few days ago when I started to put them on. These are without a doubt the best sunglasses I have ever owned. I'd love to get them fixed. Would someone help me out with info on how to contact MJ? tim2004johnson@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Tim,

    I edited the post and put in a link to their repair center at the bottom of the post.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yay glad to find this, I am about to head to the post to send in 2 pairs of ka'anapli's (LOVE THEM) that both have cracks (each on a different lens)
    at the bridge, I feel better about it now but will miss them while gone!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I bought my maui jim's and had them for about a year before they were left on the ground outside(inside the case) and i ran over them the next morning. Amazingly there was not a scratch on the lenses but the frame was flattened(mostly the bridge was bent). I called Maui Jim cust. service and they said it would be $49 to replace the bridge in the middle! She also said they may be able to fix it without replacement parts and if so there would be no charge. Who knows, i'll send them in and find out...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Today I went to MJ store in Maui to repair my favorite pair of sun glasses. I always skeptical whether I should do it or not because besides the bridge was broken, the lens also had some cracks around the screw area. I don't have my original receipt and I probably got mine at least couple years ago. I thought I need to pay big bucks for the repair and have to wait couple weeks to get it back. End up, all I need is to fill up a simple form about my name and address, wait less than 20 minutes. No question ask, didn't have to pay a penny and got a pair of totally new sun glasses, plus a brand new case. I know the cost for Maui Jim to give a new pair is small but on a customer point of view, it is very big. Now a days, it is hard to find a company stands behind their product and put customer satisfaction as their priority. I have to spread this positive experience out and the next pair of sun glasses for myself, my family and friends. Look no further, MJ it is...

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've surely spent nearly $2,500 in my lifetime on Maui Jim sunglasses, the last ones $500 with prescription lenses. I've always heard about their great repair center. When I sent mine in I received a call from the repair center about 3 weeks later and was informed that they could do nothing for me. I requested they replace or at least discount the frames, I would pay for lenses. No luck! This is not the same company it used to be. BUYER BEWARE! When you spend such a ridiculous amount of money on sunglasses, you should expect better care than this. They've lost a great customer, and apparently don't care!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Anonymous: That seems uncharacteristic of Maui Jim. I'd call back and speak with someone as high up as you can, because something just doesn't sit right with me about your comment. I know one time I had to actually pay for repairs, but it was reasonable; they discounted several parts. Try them again on the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Mike. This is my story. My husband is an offshore fishing captain who is out to sea for about 10 -12 days at a time with a 2 1/2 day break in between trips. His eyes take a beating from the glare off the ocean so good protective glasses are really important to him. He use to go through glasses like nobodys business. Well that is until he found Maui Jims. He's owned about 5 pairs and hates to wear anything other than MJ's.
    About a week ago I bought him a pair of MJ's, Model 202-02. He loved them. He wore them for 2 days. While he was taking them off the eyewear holder, the lens cracked. I was definately mad but I figured we'd get them fixed, no big deal. While I was trying to get the info for MJ's the dog jumped up on the counter and chewed up the frames (mostly the side pieces). And yes I'm serious the dog ate them! I called MJ's and they said they'd be more than happy to help me it would just cost me roughly $150.00 plus S&H.
    The dog using the glasses as a chew toy was my fault but had the lens not broken to begin with he'd be wearing them right now at work. I don't think I'll be running out to purchase another pair of MJ's anytime soon:(

    ReplyDelete
  19. Do you by chance have the phone number for the repair service. I had my MJ's repaired last Nov., and the nose piece broke again. I just can't remember where to send them. I'm certain they will repair them. Also, my daughter was horseback riding and lost her MJ's on the trail. They are pretty much messed up, but it sounds like some people have had luck with them repairing situations such as this. One of the arms is missing and the lenses are very scratched.

    ReplyDelete
  20. sounds like the Kaanapalis are breaking way too often! here is my hubby's story and the e-mails to and from Maui Jim:


    I just wanted to let you know how disappointed I am. My husband purchased your Ka anapali sunglasses perhaps a year ago. He buys good sunglasses because he is a pilot. They broke apart where the screw attaches to the nose bridge. He got SO mad that he tossed them out of the airplane right onto the taxiway. We had to fly from Monmouth County NJ to Mattituck NY with him squinting the entire way.

    As I said - he threw them away in New Jersey so there is nothing more I can do but complain...and I am doing so. I promise, we will never EVER buy another pair from Maui Jim!!!

    Aloha,

    I am sorry to hear about the trouble you had with your Maui Jims. We do have a warranty and are able to offer repair service for any broken sunglasses. Unfortunately, since you no longer have anything to send in, we would be unable to help. Have a great day!

    Mahalo,
    Brooke
    Maui Jim Web Customer Service Representative

    I realize he blew it when he threw them out of the window, but no offer of a discounted new pair with proof of purchase or anything at all! And to add “have a great day!” that is patronizing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dam! You truly are from the East Coast! Maybe you should have asked them to wash your back side too...get real.

      Delete
    2. LOL I am darn Glad I dont have to fly in a PLANE with your husband...I mean he is a calm rational thinking person after all...I cant believe MJ wouldnt just send you a new pair...LOL yeah right

      Delete
  21. I purchased my 1st pair of Maui Jims from Sunglass Hut in Scranton, PA last year when we started sailing. I loved them. As I was trying to straghten them on my face, the nose piece snapped. I figured I was screwed, but I brought them back to Sunglass Hut in NJ hoping to be able to convince somebody that these could be repaired. I was told to pick out a new pair no charge, because there was a design flaw in my glasses. No receipt, not a problem. Not only did I get a new pair of glasses, but I am going to receive a check for the difference in price between what I paid for the originals and the new ones. I can't say enough good things about a company that stands behind its product. I will absolutly be a return customer.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have had 2 pairs of Maui Jims, the forst ones were $300.00 and the bridge broke on them, i went in to SGH and they said I had to ship them off to Maui Jim, while I was there, the lady told me the titanium glasses were known for that and to take a look at these.. well of course being the dummy I am, she talked me into buying a pair of Maui's that have a plastic frame, well just over a year later, the frame became loose, and i was walkin down a gravel road with my daughter and her friend the left ear piece fell off, the glasses fell to the road, my daughter stepped on them, I have them in the mail on the way to Maui Jims with a letter of what happened so I will see how good the customer service really is. I never did do anything with the titanium pair, guess I should have, but i have almost $500.00 in Maui Jim glasses now, they better do something for me, I have a pair of Ray Bans that are 7 years old and they look brand new. I am not saying Maui Jims are bad glasses, because I love them, maybe I just had a bad couple pairs.. But I will say this, if they dont fix them, or replace them, they will be my last pair. Other than that, I love the look, feel and everything about them. Best fitting, looking, and the best poloriation I have ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh and anyone that throw their glasses away, and then blames the company, well shame on you.. tell your husband to learn some patience.

    ReplyDelete
  24. How is MJ about repairs without a receipt? Just can't find mine anywhere - but I absolutely love these sunglasses!

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Bruce: Just include a note about where you bought them and when. The first time I needed repair, I lost my receipt and their repair page instructed me to simply include the date and location purchased.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Take care with their retired frame policy. The frames are well made and have held up. But if your prescription changes don't expect support. Eyeglass vendors have a short frame style lifetime policy and cycle through models quickly.

    Below is a response from the Maui Jim Customer Service department.



    Thank you for your email. We are unable to make prescription lenses in a retired frame once we no longer have parts available for repair. We understand that you are making an investment in the prescription lenses. If you were to break your frame two days after purchasing your prescription lenses, we would not be able to offer any warranty service. We would not be able to put the lenses into any other frame, and we would be unable to fix your frame due to the lack of frame parts. We have set our policies as such to protect your investment. We only make prescription lenses for frames that we will be able to offer warranty service for. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just sent a pair in. Did not realize they had a warranty for a broken lens that was my fault, so they sat in a drawer for a year. Had a crack in the lens from a fall (slipped off my face and hit tile). We will see what happens.

    I liked reading the person who was griping because they could not get a discount for throwing glasses onto a runway. I wish I had the ability to sit down and have 10 questions with this person. moron.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for your comment, Omni! My wife and I were visiting Maui, a few weeks ago, when the wire nose-piece on my prescription MJs broke. I went to the main Lahaina store and they were fixed in less than 10 minutes, for free! They replaced the temple wires, too.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Mike! I have been trying to connect via internet with the Maui Jim Repair department, and I can't get a connection. I tried using your link that you provided, and still can't get through. Any suggestions? I cracked both lenses at the bridge. They are not under warranty, but I would like to have them fixed. Thanks!
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Anne,

    I was able to get to the repair page using the link you used. Once there, I chose a Country and my State at the right hand side of the page. Once those two criteria were chosen, the page updated with the contact information for where to send the repair, as well as links to a repair price sheet as well as what seems to be a (new) form they'd like you to fill out.

    If you still run into trouble, let me know what Country and State you're in, and I'll get you the info.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Bob Ainslie: My Mj's fell off my golf hat last summer and landed on a concrete cartway lense side down. Both lenses had aa large piece of the coating totally removed. I sent the mj's into the repair depot in Mississauga along with a cheque to cover the repair plus postage. I got them back in 9 days totally repaired, as good as new along with my uncashed cheque! What an awesome company to do business with. will definitely buy another pair of mj's from them. Thanks again for your excellent service. R. Ainslie

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have owned Maui Jim.s for years and have had nothing nut excellnet customer service when I sent my glasses in for repair. My dog chewed my temples and Maui Jim fixed them for free and included a dog bone in the box. That's awesome and you have me as a customer for life. to respond to the anonoynous regarding outing a non MJ lens in a frame. Take a Volvo to a Volvo dealership with a ford engine and see what they say, Your Optician ripped you off not Maui Jim

    ReplyDelete
  33. I always think it's interesting when people post comments calling Sunglass Hut's replacement warranty a "scam" or "underhanded".

    They're giving you 50% off of something that you broke!!! After rent and payroll, they're making $0 on them. What would you like them to do, paint your house, too?!?

    And in Maui Jim's defense, it seems as if the only time they can't help a customer is when someone puts non-Maui Jim prescription lenses in them... and I'll bet twice what you paid for them that it states that clearly in their warranty (included in the packaging).

    Let's not blame everybody else for our own screw-ups

    ReplyDelete
  34. I bought a pair of Maui Kim's in Las Vegas last year "Sandbar" variety (my 4th pair of Maui Jims)
    Last week, one of the plastic ear covers fell
    off. I called the repair center fully expecting the run around. They sent a pair out for freeeeee!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Sent my Diamond Head glasses back to Maui jim last week. I have owned several pair, lost one pair and had a tiny scratch on one of the lens of the other pair. Sent the Diamond Heads back for repair. They said they had NO parts and could not repair. The credit against a new pair was minimal and very disapointing after being a loyal MJ wearer I may have to go else were.

    ReplyDelete
  36. All of these stories help to solidy my belief in MJ's but I wish they would fix scratches. I'm still under warranty and scratched the glasses through normal wear (not abuse) but I'm just outta luck.

    I love MJ and the glasses, just wish there was something I could do other than paying $60 for some scratches to be repaired.

    ReplyDelete
  37. I could not be more thrilled with MJ's customer service. One of the hinges on my glasses broke off. I did not have proof of purchase although I let them know in my note where/when I roughly purchased them. Send them back fully expecting to have to pay for a new frame. Less than a week later I had a BRAND NEW pair of sunglasses returned to me. Total cost = $10 shipping. Unbelievable...love this company!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I just got a call from MJ concerning some sunglasses that I swear when I bought them there was a life-time warranty. I thought that's crazy but then remembered all the glasses I lost and it made more sense! I have two pairs the first i bought about 8 years ago and like I said, lifetime warranty was stressed..Maybe I'm wrong....does anyone remember this claim? Also, heard MJ sold out in the last year or so to the parent of Lenscrafters

    ReplyDelete
  39. I guess I should have mentioned that the lifetime warranty I thought I had is now $159.00 to fix my shades!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I just had an identical experience. Bought the sunglasses in 2007 (past warranty), but sent in to their repair dept. They claim the model was discontinued in 1998 (dozen years ago) and wanted to offer me 20% discount off an expensive replacement pair. The joke if it is that I can buy the same pair over the internet for less. Can't believe I bought a pair of shades that had been sitting on the store's shelf for almost a decade. Either the retailer (who told me I had a lifetime warranty) or this repair dept is a joke.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Bill: What's the name and location of the retailer?

    ReplyDelete
  42. MJ isn't the same company it use to be. I currently own 6 pairs of MJs and had one lens recently crack from a fall. I return to MJ repair, was notify via email one week later and told my model is discontinue and there's nothing they can do about repair. They offer me $75 dollar credit for a purchase of a new pair from their site only. What happen to the MJ that would offer to send a comparable replacement?

    ReplyDelete
  43. I've has a pair of Maui Jims that the lens has shatterd 3 times, the first two times Nordstoms refunded them but the third one scared me so I'm just going to throw it away as they shatteredc in such a way as shards could easily get in your eyes.
    The customer service was terrible they just told me it was probably my fault and I'd be charged their full rate plus $10. And I thought the woman was rude and condecending.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Maui Jim has never had a lifetime warranty. Salespeople will tell you anything to get you to buy the glasses as they work on commission. Also, if YOU break the glasses, be prepared to pay something toward the repair. They will work with you on the price, but to expect free repairs is just lunacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that is SOOO wrong. They may not have a lifetime warranty, but they certainly act lie they do.

      Delete
  45. I have now sent my MJ's in for the third time, due to defective materials. This time I'm told, they are out of warranty and will cost to have repaired. Nonsense! I have never, ever stressed these glasses. They are always kept in the case except when being worn. They admit the materials are defective, yet they will not cover them. My suggestion, look for another brand!

    ReplyDelete
  46. You must be out of warranty. No company repairs anything for free after the warranty expires.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Maui Jims are the absolute worse sunglasses around I have tried 4 different styles and all of them had problems with either the lenses crqcking or the frames breaking. Never again

    ReplyDelete
  48. Maui Jims rock, and the repair department is second to none. There are no better lenses around, and if you take proper care of them, they last a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  49. I can't seem to connect to there webb site have tried several times over 2 or 3 months with no sucesss. Does anyone have a phone number or address for repairs please!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Maui Jim Sunglasses were not bought by the parent company of Lenscrafters, Luxxotica. Maui Jim has always been and will continue to be a privately owned company headquartered in Peoria, Illinois. They have an outstanding warranty program and I beg you to try to get the same warranty program from Luxxotica. Their warranty is a joke, Luxxotica own Ray Ban, Oakely and many of the other competitors on the market. They do not own Maui Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Send Repairs to:
    Maui Jim Inc.
    Repair Department
    One Aloha Lane
    Peoria, IL 61615
    888-628-4546
    309-691-3700

    repair.us@mauijim.com

    ReplyDelete
  52. MauiJim Sunglasses are the best sunglasses I have ever owned. The optics and polarization are phenomenal! Regarding the non prescription situation with the broken frame, it is my understanding from the repair dep't, the use of non mj lenses in any mj frame is something against their warranty. I have learnt all Maui Jim lenses has a logo on the rt corner which indicates legally those are their lenses. Unfortunatley, there are dishonest opticians around who will charge you for maui jim's prescription lenses and half the time you're paying for something else! I stand behind MJ since their repair dep't in Mississauga is amazing, honest and completly helpful. I am a Maui Jim customer for life!!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Last year I sent my Jims to be repaired with a check for $10. They were sent back brand new. The sunglasses broke again so I sent them in again. Now they want to charge me $120 to fix them. The shades only cost $150 new. I am very disappointed with Maui Jim's 'new' repair policy. Way to turn away a loyal customer!

    ReplyDelete
  54. I SUGGEST PEOPLE FULLY COMPREHEND THE INFORMATION MAUI JIM SUNGLASSES PROVIDES REGARDING BROKEN SUNGLASSES BEFORE POSTING IGNORANT COMMENTS...WHY WOULD THEY SEND YOUR CHQ BACK AND THEN WANT TO CHG YOU $150 FOR A NEW PAIR? TELL US THE FULL STORY WILL YAH???

    ReplyDelete
  55. I am sending in for repair two pairs of MJ's that broke in the same area, both discontinued, both out of warranty. I bought them a year apart a few years ago and I have never dealt with their repair department before. When I began reading these reviews I was really optimistic but the closer you get to the present the reviews aren't as rosy as the lenses I so love. I hope it's because happy owners are so thrilled by their experience that they haven't come back to earth yet to report their bliss. I sit here holding my breath and crossing my fingers awaiting a time when I again can see the world through rose colored glasses. Please Please Please!

    ReplyDelete
  56. Hi Anonymous,

    Once you get the verdict, please come back here and discuss the results with us. I'd love to know how it went, given you are out of warranty and both glasses were discontinued.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Aloha Anonymous,
    If you send in your glasses and they are discontinued, then they will be sent to the trade-in department and they will work with you on getting into a current style. Best of luck!

    Mahalo...

    ReplyDelete
  58. I've had 2 experience with repair. The first time, the ear piece randomly snapped off. The replaced it for free and charged me $30 for new lenses. Second time, the bridge snapped because of an accident. They said accidents are not covered. They're charging me $53 for a new frame. Not bad, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  59. Jut been quoted 180 GBP to replace lenses on a pair of MJ Makaha's by a local MJ authorised dealer (Cambridge UK). Obviously they have a side line in a distorted exchange rate 3 GBP to 1 USD must be wrong. I am hoping the price of 60 USD quoted on the website is real.

    ReplyDelete
  60. Very dissappointed in Maui Jims. I have a pair of perscription sunglasses that I have had the lens replace once because the coating started to chip and pit. That was a year ago and I had originally purchased them in 2009. Now the coating is once again wearing off so I took them back to where I purchased them and they called Maui Jims and they told them they were older than 2 years and not covered. So I asked, ok how much if I purchase just new lens. They came back at $440.00 for the lens and $500 if I wanted totally new glasses. I can't believe that price just for lenses. I will take my business elsewhere. I will never purchase from Maui Jims again. They need to realize that peoples perscriptions change and they need updated lens and should not have to pay full price for an update.
    Dissapointed in Michigan

    ReplyDelete
  61. I purchased a pair of 502-23's in 2005. A few years later, they cracked at the screw points on all 4 contact points. I wore them for awhile like that, then decided to buy a new pair of them in 2008. I didn't know about the lens replacement policy at the time! The other pair broke just the same, so I emailed them and they told me to send them in. 5 days after sending them in, they started out with...."these are way out of the 2 year warranty period....." so I thought, "oh boy, here we go." But, he finished with, "what we can do is repair both glasses, $30 each, and with that, you get a new 2 year warranty. How does that sound?" I was very happy with the outcome, and I should have my glasses back in 2-3 days.

    ReplyDelete
  62. I had my MJ's since 2002, absolutely loved these glasses and paid almost $170 back in 2002. I lost them in the yard and then found them 3 weeks later with a missing temple but still in good shape after being hit with a weed wacker. I emailed and asked if they could at least look at them and let me know my options. Got an email back immediately, telling me to send them in and a technician will call to give me options. I sent glasses, case, receipt and the $10 process fee with high hopes. They called me with-in 7 days and told me them didn't have that part anymore but are able to re-frame the good lenses in a black style. All for just the $10 fee. I love Maui Jims and will forever.

    ReplyDelete
  63. I just visited the Lahaina store with a 15 year old pair of MJ's. The frame was broken and the lens popped out. I asked the sales rep what could be done. He looked at the glasses and said "these are 15 years old, but your lenses are in great shape. I got you covered." What awesome customer service. I own 3 pair and actually have had a previous pair repaired at the factory at no charge. Both times it took about 10 minutes to get them repaired. I would not buy any other brand of sunglasses based on my MJ experience






    your lens's are in great shape, I got you covered

    ReplyDelete
  64. I just sent a pair back and received a new pair for the $10 processing fee. They even sent a note saying that they were sorry that the repair took so long and that they were very busy this time of the year. The turn-around time was only about a week but I am SUPER impressed with their very liberal policy. I am a customer for life too!

    ReplyDelete
  65. Being an authorized MJ dealer, perhaps I might shed some light on these various repair experiences with MJ sunglasses:

    1. MJ has traditionally gone way overboard with trying to exceed customer expectations in repair situations.
    2. Now that MJ is bigger, this may no longer be the experience than everyone encounters.
    3. Dealers are at the mercy of MJ when it comes to Rx repairs. I belive MJ hides behind the optical dealer to avoid expenses with repairs on Rx eyewear.
    4. If you take some ownership (read: responsibility) for damaged sunglasses, they will generally go WAY OUT OF THEIR way to please you, especially if you say you are willing to pay a reasonable price for a repair.
    5. Some MJ frames have turned out to be complete turkeys. If you owned one of these, and MJ can no longer support them with parts, they will offer you a pro-rated amount toward replacement eyewear. I believe this is fair for all parties.
    6. People who won't take any responsibility for damages or consequential damages should not buy sunglasses in these price ranges. Period.

    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man that was great info, Anonymous Dealer! Thanks for that!

      Delete
  66. The information is still good. I called and said I wanted to buy one of the arms to replace on my MJs that was broken, fairly new set my fault..... He said to send them in with a $10.00 check and 2 weeks later in the mail.......repaired glasses. It actually said they repaired both arms not sure why but very happy. I love my MJ's Life looks better through them!

    ReplyDelete
  67. My experience mirrors those above so I won't bore with details... I will be a MJ fan for life and will advertise them to all of my friends/family. !0 years with 'em!

    ReplyDelete
  68. I am done with Maui Jim. I have over a hundred pairs of Maui Jims that I have been collecting for sometime. I recently sent 10 pairs in for replacement lenses only to be denied. There excuse was the RX lens were fitted for different frame types so they could not use standard replacement lenses. In addition, they will no longer repair sunglasses in which you are not the the original owner. If you do not have a receipt, I suggest you lie about where they were purchased or you could be denied repairs as well. In addition they will charge me for shipping the glasses back to me. Let's hope it is not an outrageous expense. Will be looking to buy Oakleys in the future. Maui has now become that typical american company. It's all about the new sales with little to no support for the older items.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which styles did you send in? Buying from unauthorized dealers like ebay voids warranties in several situations.

      Delete
    2. MJ 408, MJ 577 MJ 112 MJ 405 MJ 453 MJ 102 MJ 203 MJ 507 MJ 114 and MJ 510.

      I did not expect to get lens replacements under warranty. I expected to pay for the lenses ($60) but was denied because Maui Jim will not make repairs unless you prove that you are the original owner. So if you buy Maui Jims on ebay or even from a friend I am not sure what service, if any, you may get from Maui Jim for repairs. Since I cannot get replacement parts except from Maui Jim repair centers, I am stuck with unless sunglasses.

      Their repair polices have changed over the years. Unfortunately for myself, I am already in their system from previous attempts at repairs so it will be difficult for any future repair services on sunglasses without sales receipts (Proof of Purchase).

      Delete
  69. If you are thinking of switching to Oakley I would think twice. I have a pair in which the lenses started to peel and the best they will do for me is replace them for the cost of new lenses. My lenses are perfect otherwise and the peeling is clearly a manufacturing defect yet they will not own up to it. I am on the hunt for a company that will stand behind their product. I thought this might be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  70. I totally agree with the above comment. My Rx Flak Jacket lens have cracks at the edges that connect to the frame. It's obviously to be manufacturing defect and it happened a year after the first replacement (aka it cracks more than once). Oakley refused to replace because it's over a year after the original purchased date.

    This is my third pairs of Oakley and their QC seems to be worse. I have Rx Half Jacket which is older than the Flak, but doesn't have this problem. Now I'm looking to get Rx Maui Jim but not so sure after seeing these comments. The price for Rx is also very steep.

    ReplyDelete
  71. I cracked a lense on my fairly new Maui Jim's and thought it was a total loss. I went to their website and saw that they'll charge me $50 to replace them and figured that's better than buying new shades. So I shipped them off last Monday (paid $4 for shipping) and expected to see my shades again in a few weeks.
    This past Monday, I got them back in the mail, fixed good as new. But here's the best part, not only did they include a note apologizing for the delay (it was only 1 week - that's a delay???), but they didn't charge me to replace the lenses. Now that is great customer service and a phenomenal way to build customer loyalty. Maui Jim customer for life!

    ReplyDelete
  72. Just had my Maui Jims repaired I bought them in France about 3 years ago and one of the flexible arms broke. Contacted a dealer in spain were I am on vacation had them repaired and 2 new arms fitted and a new case for €9.44. Unbelievable service only took a week from ending them and them coming back.
    They are like brand new..

    Maui Jim till I die....
    Fantastic product fantastic service....

    ReplyDelete
  73. I purchased Kahuna Bronze in 2001. The lenses are faded, the frame has been chewed by the dog and sat on at least a couple of time. I decided it was time for new shades. Since the Kahunas had given me good service and taken a lot of abuse I bought another pair with the grey lens. While I was looking for the new ones the optomitrist said thay could send them back and get new lenses in for $140, I decided against this since the frames were a mess.
    then........... I found I could send them to MJ and get new lenses and a new frame for $152, I took this option and sent the repair form with my credit card number to MJ in Ontario last Friday Aug 17. Today Aug 24 they came back. New pair in a new case. Invoice said:- It is your lucky day! to celebrate the end of summer we are giving away free repairs to our loyal wonderful Maui Jim customers. Invoice amount $0.0. Simply amazing, It all works out because I always loved the bronze for driving in snow, rain and fog. I am totally in shock. A new pair for an 11 year old pair,who else does that?

    ReplyDelete
  74. Sometimes you just can't get no satisfaction. I'll keep it abbreviated: 15 year old glasses. Sent them in. Style out of date. Offered to give 50% discount on any style but had to use online store. I lost my job some time ago and cut up all of my credit cards. So I went to the grocery store and bought a VISA gift card. They won't accept it. So if you have fallen on hard times and no longer have your own credit card Maui Jim doesn't care. jjohnson18850@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  75. Sent in a pair of glasses to have lens put back in and to see if they could address peeling on inside of frames. Glasses came back in with lens in and NO mention of peeling. Also, when they put the lens back a bigger section inside the glasses came off - which make them look crappy because you can see that when looking at the glasses. I would have been willing to pay for them to fix it since I now can't use these glasses. I will NEVER buy Maui Jim's again because of poor service.

    ReplyDelete

  76. The sun’s ultraviolet rays are most damaging between 10am and 2pm. Even under overcast skies, we should protect our eyes, as the rays of the sun do pass through clouds. And when under a shade, we should still wear sunglasses, because UV rays are reflected by sand and water.

    sunglasses
    marketing sunglasses
    Crystal Custom
    Promotional Sunglasses
    Story Miami
    Logolenses

    ReplyDelete
  77. My Maui Jims were the best, most comfortable sunglasses I've ever owned. They were also the most I've ever spent on a pair. The value, however, didn't amount to much in the long run.

    After wearing my Maui Jim's for about two years, the hinge on one side separated. I was busy, and so they languished in a drawer for awhile. Then, I got married, had a child, moved and suddenly it's years later. I recently sent the sunglasses back, after filling out the repair form on their website. I was excited to one day be wearing them again.

    The frames and lenses on my glasses are fine. The metal hinge separated internally, where I assume there was a spring and some means by which the shaft from the frame was retained. I was hopeful that Maui Jim could fix the hinge, and I'd be back in business. I wrote an authorization for my credit card, and sent them in.

    I received an email, stating that they were sorry, but due to the fact that my sunglasses were discontinued, no repairs would be possible. An offer was made to discuss my options for replacing my glasses, but after searching the website, none available there were suitable replacements.

    So, in essence, I had the first couple of years of use. I've had other brands (currently wearing Serengetti's) that are nice, but not the one pair of MJ's that I thought were the best. Looking back though, for the money, the MJ's were not a good investment.

    I like nice things, but more than that, I'm willing to spend more on a quality product. I've worn the same watch for almost twenty years, and it has proven itself to be worth every penny of the $4,000 I paid for it then (which, at the time, was a lot of money for a watch). I've had nice cars, and never regretted spending more for the overall value I received in return. These Maui Jims though, didn't make the grade.

    Once I receive the broken pair back from MJ, I'll find someone local who can manufacture whatever part may be needed to reassemble them. I might consider MJ's in the future, but all future purchases will be cautioned by this experience.

    ReplyDelete
  78. I admire your unique way of writing, especially the style of using the idioms and phrases which are mind-blowing. I hope you will not mind if I adopt this style of yours. Many thanks.
    eye glasses repair

    ReplyDelete
  79. Apparently this remarkable story of excellent repair service has changed over the years
    I sent in my muai Jim glasses with a broken temple and they returned to me unrepaired with a form letter that they will not repair frames with non muai Jim lenses. These glasses are 4 years old and I was willing to pay for the repair. I have purchased 2 pairs of these style glasses over the last 15 years. The first pair the lenses frame broke. I will not buy Muai Jim's again
    Thanks for the opportunity to vent my displeasure

    ReplyDelete
  80. The title of your write-up is very eye catching, which holds an individual to read till the very end of your blog. Every new paragraph increases the interest of a reader.
    eyeglasses repair

    ReplyDelete