Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Brown sludge in bottom of Blendtec blender cup

I recently came across a brown sludge that coats the metal ring at the bottom/base inside my Blendrec blender cup... any ideas what this stuff might be? I scraped it off with a toothpick, as it doesn't seem to come off with a hot water rinse alone. Doesn't appear to be rust.

1 comment:

  1. This is just an educated guess based upon my somewhat limited understanding of mechanical things.... What I see is possibly greese. In order for the free spinning motion to exist without friction there is most likely a set of bearings within the circular constuction, and a good amount of greese. Why are you seeing it now? Well, I know you tend to use your beloved blendtec quite frequently, and the only thing I can think of is that at some point it got warmer that usual, or just too hot in general, making the greese thinner and apt to seep. Now I ran this by Will and he says that this is true and added... if they are teflon sealed bearings check the seals to see if thats where the seepage is, because the teflon seal can warp from excessive heat. He says if this is the case, not to worry TOO much but it might be a good idea to have the bearings replaced. Hope we helped :)

    Jeannine :)

    ReplyDelete